Health care leaders must be able to control patient care expenses and understand the flow of patient revenues. This course will address capital and operating budgets, evaluating productivity, and health care legislation.
- Explain the sources of Federal and State laws or legislation.
- Discuss the legislative process in healthcare rule making and legislation as it relates to state and federal government.
- Synthesize the network of Operating Divisions (ODs) in the Health and Human Service (HHS) Agency including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and their role in rule making and legislative process.
- Discuss what needs to be considered that could constitute a challenge to financial management.
- Discuss the challenges to monitor the budget and why it is important to establish a workflow that facilitates monitoring.
- Describe different types of budget development methodologies.
- Explain the concept of productivity monitoring including underlying rationale, benefits, associated challenges, and implications for nurse administrators.
- Critique common productivity measures in terms of strengths, key questions answered, and associated weaknesses.